Milos R. Popovic
MyndMove is a non-invasive therapy that combines patient participation, therapist expertise and the MyndMove functional electrical stimulation (FES) device to restore voluntary hand and arm function in patients suffering from upper-limb paralysis. The MyndMove device is a single system comprised of several parts:
- embedded stimulation protocols that can elicit over 30 different reaching and grasping movements
- an 8 channel stimulator that can stimulate up to 8 different muscle groups in a single stimulation protocol
- an intuitive user interface allowing therapists to select and deliver personalized therapy
MyndMove is Manufactured by our start-up company MyndTec Inc., and it is Health Canada and US FDA Approved.
- N. Kapadia, M.R. Popovic. Functional Electrical Stimulation Therapy for Grasping in Spinal Cord Injury: An Overview. Topics in Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation. 2011:17:1-70.
- N. Kapadia, B. Shaghayegh, M.R. Popovic. Influence of Different Rehabilitation Therapy Models on Patient Outcomes: Hand Function Therapy in Individuals with Incomplete SCI. The Journal of Spinal Cord Medicine. 2014:0:0-1.
- N. Kapadia, V. Zivanovic, J. Furlan, B.C. Craven, C. McGillivray, M.R. Popovic. Functional Electrical Stimulation Therapy for Grasping in Traumatic Incomplete Spinal Cord Injury: Randomized Control Trial. Artificial Organs. 2011:35(3):212-216.
- N. Kapadia, V. Zivanovic, M.R. Popovic. Restoring Voluntary Grasping Function in Individuals with Incomplete Chronic Spinal Cord Injury: Pilot Study. Topics in Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation. 2013:19:4-279.
- N. Kawashima, M.R. Popovic, V. Zivanovic. Effect of Intensive FES Therapy on Upper-Limb Motor Recovery After Stroke. Physiotherapy Canada. 2013:65(1):20-28.
- M.R. Popovic, N. Kapadia, V. Zivanovic, J. Furlan, C. Craven, C. McGillivray. Functional Electrical Stimulation Therapy of Voluntary Grasping Versus only Conventional Rehabilitation for Patients with Subacute Incomplete Tetraplegia: A Randomized Clinical Trial. Neurorehabilitation and Neural Repair. 2011:25:5-433.
- M.R. Popovic, T. Thrasher, M. Adams, V. Takes, V. Zivanovic, M. Tonack. Functional Electrical Therapy: Retraining Grasping in Spinal Cord Injury. Spinal Cord. 2006:44-143.
- T. Trasher, V. Zivanovic, W. Mcllroy, M.R. Popovic. Rehabilitation of Reaching and Grasping Function in Severe Hemiplegic Patients Using Functional Electrical Stimulation Therapy. Neurorehabilitation and Neural Repair. 2008:22:706-13.
FES Garment Study
Milos R. Popovic
REL is working to develop a new generation of stimulation device: the FES garments.
Those shirts and pants made of conductive and non-conductive fabric are currently designed with the help of end-users.
They will also be tested soon with stroke-survivors and individuals with spinal-cord injury.
Additionally, several instrumentation and stimulation designs, both open-loop and closed-loop, will be experimented with able-bodied participants.
- Moineau, C. Marquez-Chin, M. Alizadeh-Meghrazi, G. Stefan, K. Masani, M.R. Popovic, “Design of garment devices to deliver functional electrical stimulation in individuals with neurological paralysis,” Rehab Week 2017 - 21st International Functional Electrical Stimulation Society Conference, London, UK, July 17-21, 2017.